a series of views of lost area buildings
By John B. Green III
The Claypoole House
|Claypoole House, photo c. 1925.|
Great age and family pride, however, could not save the Claypoole house from the automobile and its incessant needs. The Gulf Refining Company took a option on the property in 1926 with the intent of building a gasoline filling station on the prominent corner lot. The resultant uproar emphasized the destruction of a quiet, residential neighborhood, the lowering of property values, and the history of the house. The Gulf Refining Company retired from the field. The battle was taken up again by Texaco and won in 1930 when the Dewey and Claypoole heirs sold them the property. The old Claypoole home was demolished in 1931 and soon thereafter replaced by a service station.