You hold a contest!
How DeGraffenried Park got its name.
|Mack Lupton House, DeGraffenried Park. Historic Architecture of New Bern and Craven County.|
The arcane methods that today's developers use to name new subdivisions are a mystery, but in New Bern in 1926 they held a naming contest complete with prizes. The area where the future DeGraffenried Park would be located had been agricultural land for generations. In the 1920s it was open fields owned by E.H. and J.A. Meadows and a pecan orchard owned by John H. Jones. Jones and the Meadows contracted with J.S. Miller and Son and the Atlantic Coast Realty Company to develop and promote the property. Beginning in November 1926 the development was touted as an exclusive, high-class residential area with large lots set among wide concrete-paved streets and sidewalks. City water and sewer and electric and telephone service would be supplied to every lot.
The developers announced a contest to name the property and its principal streets. The judges would be Mrs. Clyde Eby, Mrs. Richard N. Duffy, and Miss Bettie Windley. Either the judges or the contest participants were in an historical mood, for when the results were announced, all the winners had picked names from New Bern's early history.
|Sun-Journal, 11 November 1926|
|Sun-Journal, 8 March 1927|
|Intersection of Lucerne Way and Fort Totten Drive, c. 1927, looking east toward earthworks of Fort Totten.|